The Washington Post estimates that every year, rear-end collisions total about 1.7 million. A number of factors go into determining who is at fault in these situations, but more often than not, the fault goes to the driver of the vehicle that rear-ended the other. When faced with a car crash of this type, many people look at rear end collision settlement examples. What they really want to understand is the fair compensation value for the injuries and damages caused.
What Determines the Final Compensation?
There are several different factors that contribute to the final settlement value you are awarded. This payout can range anywhere from just a few thousand to several million dollars. Here are some of the factors affecting compensation when looking at rear-end collision settlement examples:
- Vehicles: If the vehicle rear-ended is much smaller than the following vehicle, this can cause more severe damages. Semi-trucks rear-ending smaller cars is an extreme example of high costs associated with this.
- Negligence: If the rear-end collision was a result of negligence and led to serious damages and injuries, courts tend to be more likely to award higher non-economic damages.
- Parties: When a company is liable, judges often tend to mete out harsher punishments. These cases most often involve gross negligence.
- Speed: Even small vehicles can cause serious damages to larger ones if the driver is speeding. Speeding is also often tied to negligence, which may increase payouts.
- Injuries: The more severe a person’s injuries, the higher the likelihood of obtaining bigger payouts. This is true even when the result is death.
How much is your car accident injury claim worth?
Find out the maximum compensation you could receive.
- How Much is Your Injury Claim Worth?
Rear End Collision Settlement Examples
Now that you understand a few of the main factors that could move the total payment up or down, consider these examples. They come from law firms all across the country.
- $150 Million: In this case, a pickup truck struck an SUV. The SUV burst into flames and a young boy was burned alive inside. The jury found Chrysler guilty of gross negligence regarding the design, manufacture and selling of the 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The pickup driver was found 1% responsible for the accident, while Chrysler was held responsible for the remaining 99%.
- $90 Million: A truck driver who was allegedly speeding 20 MPH over the legal limit and had been awake for more than 24 hours crashed into the back of a limousine. The limousine had slowed due to congestion. The impact killed one man and injured several others. One of the victims was a comedian. He suffered traumatic brain injuries, broken ribs and a broken leg. The entertainer reportedly received an estimated $90 million dollars from Walmart, the driver’s employer.
- $75,000: According to one law firm, a vehicle failed to stop in time at the intersection of a major highway and rear-ended a woman waiting at the stoplight. The woman suffered neck and back pain and went to the emergency room. While there, she also learned she was pregnant and had developed complications. She underwent surgery to fix herniated disks. The woman sued the driver, but he did not respond to the lawsuit. She then sued her insurance company based on uninsured motorist coverage.
- $13,586: Another woman was rear-ended at a stoplight, but the accident was allegedly minor. In spite of this, she woman sued the other driver. She alleged pain from a cervical sprain and a herniated disk. However, it was possible that this was caused by previous, unrelated surgeries. The law firm represented the defendant in this case, and he paid only economic damages for medical expenses.
Need to Speak to an Attorney?
- Get a free Consultation
Studying rear end collision settlement examples is a great way to get a feel for what outcomes to expect based on your situation. However, only an attorney can make an educated guess regarding the potential payment of your personal injury claim.