Allstate Claims Process
If you are in a car accident, you are going through plenty of stress. The last thing you need after this traumatic event is a hassle with the subsequent car accident settlement process. The good news is Allstate has a convenient and easy way to get your claim handled. Below is more information about the Allstate claims process. Alternatively, you can learn more about the Allstate arbitration process here.
Start Your Claim
Begin your claim by contacting Allstate or access their online claims site on your PC or smart device. Below are your options with Allstate:
- Log into your account at allstate.com where you can track your claim easily online.
- Use the Allstate Mobile App to begin your claim and track it from wherever you are.
- Call 1-800-255-7828 to file and track your auto accident claim by phone.
- Find an agent on the company website to help you file your claim.
However, you should first talk to the police and report the accident. In many cases, the police will show up at the accident scene and will take a police report. This is important evidence that could be needed later during the claims process.
It also is important to be checked out by medical staff if you think you have suffered any injuries. It is not unusual for injuries to crop up days or even weeks later. Sometimes, the stress of the accident will prevent you from feeling pain from your injuries for at least a few hours. That is why it is smart to be checked out by a medical professional after the accident. Once you are confident that your medical needs have been met, it is a good idea to call Allstate.
The Allstate claims representative will work with you by asking you basic questions about the accident. Your coverage details will be explained and can help you to get a rental car if you need it. Also, they will set up a time and place for your vehicle to be examined by an Allstate claims adjuster. Allstate will have its own list of preferred collision repair companies in your area, but you are free to use your own.
It is important to have the following information when you are starting your Allstate claim, either online or on the telephone:
- The contact information for the other driver, such as name, insurance information and driver’s license number.
- Copy of the police report; if you do not have it, you should call the police station where the responding police officers are based. You should be able to get a copy of the police report from that police station.
- The contact information and names of any passengers who were in the car when the accident happened.
- Any evidence of the damage done to your vehicle. This should include photos or video that you have from the scene of the accident.
- Documentation of the injuries you sustained in the accident. This should be provided by your doctor or medical professional with as much detail as possible.
To determine how much in repair your vehicle needs, Allstate requires the vehicle to be taken to a garage or collision center. You will have the option of using an Allstate-approved facility in your area or going to your own. Note that Allstate has more than 3,500 trusted repair facilities throughout the US.
The initial inspection should not take more than 20 or 30 minutes. Your Allstate claims adjuster will be in touch with you within a few days about their findings. If the estimated repairs are higher than the value of the car, Allstate would declare the vehicle a total loss.
If it is declared a total loss, Allstate will determine what the vehicle was worth before the accident and will reimburse you that amount minus any deductible. If the other driver in the crash is found to be at fault and their auto insurance company assumes liability, you will be reimbursed for the deductible.
Settling the Claim
Whether the car can be repaired or is totaled, the payment that is provided to you by Allstate is negotiable. While the sum that you are given might not be presented in a way that makes you think it is negotiable, you do have the right to a fair settlement. In some cases, Allstate policyholders have more success hiring a car accident attorney to handle settlement negotiations. It is important to never settle your car accident claim case for less than you think it is worth.