Car accidents can leave you frazzled and confused. In the midst of all the chaos, one thing you should never forget to do is contact your insurance company immediately. You’re already paying for car insurance, why not put it to use in the unfortunate event of an accident. Negotiating with insurance agents and filing claims can be just as exasperating as the collision. Stay calm and patient. The process may go quicker than you think especially if you have collected evidence and followed the proper steps following the accident. Here are some necessary steps to follow after being involved in a collision:
- Contact the police– your insurance company will likely ask you to provide a police report.
- Contact your insurance company– contact your insurer to report the mishap at the earliest opportunity. They will ask you a series of questions regarding who was driving the car, who was injured, location and time of the collision, essential descriptions of the collision, which car on the policy was involved etc.
- Gather vital information regarding the accident– once you’ve contacted your insurance company, they will assign an adjustor to your case. The adjustor will conduct an investigation. Be proactive and provide your adjustor with photos from the scene, contact info from other parties involved, inspection evidence from both cars for damage and witness information.
- Contact your medical insurance if injuries are present– claims can be influenced due to the severity of any injuries.
- Follow up with your insurance adjustor – Make sure the story you’ve told the adjustor and the story they have on file match up. This is important because the adjustor will determine who the at-fault party is with the given facts.